While winter in California tends to be on the milder side, there are still preparations that are important for your home’s plumbing system. If you live in the Chula Vista area, consider preparing your plumbing for the winter months as soon as you can. These preparations will give you confidence that your home is ready for any cold weather that is in the forecast.
- Make sure the faucets in your home aren’t dripping. If you have any faucets that leak or drip, have them repaired right away so that you don’t have to deal with water damage later.
- Take a walk around the exterior and interior of your property each week to inspect your home and make sure all the plumbing in your home looks healthy.
- Check your doors and windows to make sure they seal correctly. If you feel cold air coming into your home, have these gaps or cracks fixed.
- Make sure your water heater is ready for colder weather. Get the tank flushed and consider a water softener if there is a build-up of sediment.
- Use bib protectors to make sure that your outdoor faucets are protected. Using bib protectors helps keep pipes from freezing.
- Check all the drains on the inside and outside of your home. Clear your drains to make sure your home can handle the extra water that comes with heavy rains or backups.
- If odd odors or sounds come from the plumbing system in your house, have them inspected before you need repairs! Most plumbing repairs can be avoided by taking care of the problem as soon as it starts.
- Protect your drains and sewer line by covering your drains with removable screens. These screens allow you to collect debris before it gets into your plumbing and starts to accumulate. You won’t have to worry as much about significant accumulations if you collect the waste before it gets washed down a drain. The less your pipes clog, the less you must worry about pipes bursting during a cold spell.